Tuesday 16 July 2013

"The Quest For Accuracy (Part 2)"

The dashingly handsome
Charles Edward Spearing
(1881-1952)
My first connection with another Spearing family history researcher came via the popular genealogy web site mentioned in my previous post. After engaging in a flurry of activity attaching dozens of names and documents to my tree, I came across a photograph of a first cousin three generations removed by the name of Charles Edward Spearing (handsome chap as you can see). Charles Edward’s paternal grandfather was the fertile Joseph Henry Spearing, father of 11 children and my 3rd great grandpa.

I attached a copy of this wonderful photograph of Charles Edward to my own tree, shortly after which I received this message from a gentleman from Leicestershire, England:

“Hi, glad you like my photos of Spearings, Charles Edward was my grandfather, you say his parents William and Harriett married in 1876 ? did they, please show me the proof and I will be eternally grateful, cheers”

It was a thrill to receive a note from an unknown relative! The thing was, I didn’t entirely say Charles’ parents were married in 1876, I only attached a reference to that date from someone else’s family tree, and there was no citation with it, meaning that there were no supporting documents – no proof. This date could have been an estimate based on other information, or taken from a scribbling on the back of a photo or from a Bible in someone’s attic – who knows. So, I responded in kind:

“Hi! Sorry I have no citation to prove that date is accurate, it was taken from someone else's tree and I have it in my notes as being unverified as of yet. So far it seems to be a reasonable approximation as they appear to have been married prior to 1881 but that's all I have. Charles Edward Spearing was my 1st cousin thrice removed. Good to hear from you!”

In this case it is reasonable to assume the date may be close, but without verification, we can’t say for sure, and there are no indications on the genealogy site as to where this date originated from. I quickly received a reply:

“Hi, thanks for speedy reply, I am still searching for proof, quick question, where was William Edward Spearing in 1901, any ideas, cheers”

On to the next problem. William Edward was Charles Edward’s father. I could see by the data we both collected relating to William Edward Spearing that this relative appears in the 1891 and 1911 England censuses but is mysteriously missing from the 1901 census. I could not offer a solution to this conundrum either:

“Hi cousin. I have not found any proof yet of W E Spearing's whereabouts in 1901. Odd... but still searching.”

To which my newly found kin from across the Atlantic offered this interesting tidbit:

“There is an entry in criminal and law suits naming another? William Spearing and friend in very naughty activities - they were found innocent - but no addresses except for Aston Birmingham which is relevant but certainly not proof of being same person, you can see it for yourself - keep well”

Sure enough, in the England & Wales Criminal Registers, William Spearing and Thomas Davis were on trial on July 2, 1878 but both were acquitted. Mr. Davis’ charge was “assault with intent to ravish”. Mr. Spearing’s charge was “the like”.

No comments:

Post a Comment